Archive:The Northern War
This article or section is out of date. The country/countries relevant to this article have been removed from Sahar and have been retconned. Everything here can be considered non-canonical.
|The Northern War|
Sanmra (until 1913)
Shalorja (province of Nordjaelm)
Template:Country data Aastoyog (province of Nordjaelm)
Raktharia (province of Nordjaelm)
|Commanders and leaders|
|Hannjaḳ tao Taðinij|
|Casualties and losses|
The Northern War, sometimes known as the Great Alpic War was a war fought on Alpa between 1911 and 1915 which involved most of the countries in the region. It was arguably the most brutal and destructive war on Alpa due to the advent of modern technology, and greatly changed the political climate of the continent. It also led to the Shalorjan, Rakthar and Aasty revolts which lead to the independence of countries of Shalorja, Raktharia and Aastoyog, as well as a partial dissolution of the Nordjaelmish Empire. The war was actually composed of several smaller conflicts which can be summarised as such: The War in Arrym, The War in Tomeria, The War of Raktharian Independence, The War of Shalorjan Independence and The War of Aasty Independence
The war was fought between two sides:
- The "Western" side, which included The Empire of Nordjaelm and its core provinces (Acokkonn, Þalkankonn, Legjokkonn, Dazavokkon and Rílkonn) as well as its vassal states of Shalorja, Raktharia and Aastoyog. Sanmra also provided financial and partial military support until 1913
- The "Eastern" side, which included many Arrymian tribes as well as Tomeria
- In 1911, The Empire of Nordjaelm sent the ambassador Vrejheṡ tao Oṡraðij to communicate with tribal leaders in Arrym to gather support from them, eventually to enact a plan of vassalisation as to gain access to the Dragon Sea to the East of Alpa and to Miraria. Vrejheṡ is executed by Arrymian chieftan Brou Gworamy for interfering in the dealings of his people, greatly angering the 26th Emperor of Nordjaelm, Hannjaḳ (Full name Hannjaḳ Alajnr Oṡanërtejð tol Kjonnij Vazar tao Kérannij), leading to talks of an invasion of Arrym by Nordjaelm and its tributaries.
The War in Arrym
- Nordjaelm invades Arrym in the late summer of 1911, and is met with fierce resistance in the mountains that border Raktharia. This is the start of the War in Arrym
- Nordjaelm calls Raktharian tribal vassals to its aid, bolstering its forces and allowing it to push into Arrym by the early autumn.
- Nordjaelm slowly pushes into Arrym, its forces making its way to the more populous and urbanised north-east, but is strained by having to march its armies through narrow and hazardous mountain passes in Raktharia. Arrymian forces are generally disorganised due to their tribal structure and cannot face Nordjaelm's legions using conventional warfare, instead relying on guerrilla and hit-and-run tactics (made possible by the more maneuverable and independent nature of Arrymian forces and their knowledge of native terrain)
- By mid autumn of 1911, Arrymian forces are pushed into northern Sanmra and western Tomeria. This prompts Sanmra to join the war on Nordjaelm's side, as there are large dalar minority groups within Nordjaelm. Sanmran forces cut off the retreat of Arrymian forces, and push north into southern Arrym
- Nordjaelmish forces follow retreating Arrymian forces into western Tomeria, prompting Tomeria to join the war on Arrym's side and push against the invaders
- Nordjaelmish navy sets of from Eluin at the south end of Shalorja, mostly composed of native Shalorjan conscripts. Their destination is the Bay of Arrym in the north-east of Alpa, meaning to navally besiege the Arrymian cities clustered by the coast at the Sea of Alpa, preventing any merchant ships from Miraria and elsewhere to deliver much needed goods to them.
- Due to freak storms coming with the start of winter, a large portion of the Nordjaelmish fleet is destroyed on its way to Arrym, with about a third of its ships sinking along the way. This event is later considered one of the greatest disasters of the Nordjaelmish military during the course of the war. This creates a great outcry within Shalorja, with the rise of much anti-Nordjaelmish sentiment. One prominent figure emerges from this movement, a man by the name of Erís Bathök, distinguishing himself by his strong desire for an independent Shalorja and the proliferation of an anti-authoritarian ideology known as Hannmożaż. The fleet begins the blockade of the Bay of Arrym, prompting the northern Arrymian cities to unite and send a combined army southwards to cut off the Nordjaelmish army from its supply lines coming through Raktharia.
- The onset of winter and the cutoff of supply lines pushes the Nordjaelmish army to fully invade Tomeria in early 1912 in order to raid the rich farmsteads along its border and to strike back against Tomerian aggressors. This is the start of the War in Tomeria.
The War in Tomeria
- Chaos is caused in Western Tomeria as the Nordjaelmish XI legion overwhelms Tomerian forces due to a majority of its army being stationed around Belfair, the capital, in the South. However, falling temperature cause the Nordjaelmish army to dig in and fortify, preparing to spend the winter in Tomeria.
- Tomeria instantly deploys forces to repel the Nordjaelmish army, as well as a small force to attack Elten, the capital of Sanmra which is not far from its border with Tomeria, to prevent them from supporting Nordjaelmish forces.
- A task force of Tomerian diplomats are secretly sent into Shalorja, Raktharia and Aastoyog to make contact with anti-Nordjaelmish resistance fighters that might be able to sow conflict within Nordjaelm that takes attention away from the Eastern front.